Technology is always evolving – and so are the threats associated with it. Part of the evolution of technology in business has been the adoption of cloud and mobile assets, which have enabled anywhere, anytime productivity and enhanced innovation for companies across the globe. However, these advancements mean that traditional network security protocols are no longer capable of keeping up with the range – and pace – of the risks associated with them.
Many companies now have multiple mobile devices operating across their network. They also have corporate devices operating across other, potentially unsecured networks. These networks may include those related to work activities – such as meetings away from the office, or during attendance at a conference, but may also include public and unsecured Wi-Fi, such as those in airports and cafes, as well as access to personal WiFi if employees are taking mobile devices home. This exposes corporate devices to new threats, including hacking, malware, spyware, viruses, Trojans, and bots – and a single breach could be catastrophic.
It is almost impossible for companies to ensure that devices are always connected to a secure network, meaning that they not only have to ensure that their network is protected against devices accessing their infrastructure – but that their assets are secure while operating away from their network as well. This means that companies must be able to understand the who, what, when, where, and why of the devices on their network, the devices used by their company, and the level of visibility control they have over both.
Device management allows companies to understand the devices operating within their business, and manage them effectively without compromising productivity for users. Effective management enables companies to:
- Remotely manage devices: Allowing for the activation and deactivation of apps, services, and tools – as well as device wiping. This is useful if a device is lost or stolen, as it allows a business to ensure that the data on that device is secure – or effectively erased.
- User Control: Appropriate device management enables companies to provide, and restrict, user access to ensure that the right people have the right level of access, as well as to contain potential attacks. This helps them understand who is using what device, when, and why – and adjust access accordingly.
- Employee Education: Device management requires effective employee education, including policies about device use while away from the office, as well as the use of pins and passwords to increase device protection, and what to do in the event of a threat or data breach.
Network Security, such as the Enterprise Network Security service offered by Cisco, provides companies with the ability to improve their device management and security, protecting against threats that may affect the company via their network. Enterprise Network Security enables:
- Risk Reduction: Companies utilising an effective network security service obtain multi-layered protection, increasing their agility and ability to react and respond to threats.
- Reduced Complexity: Businesses also get to choose between integrated, dedicated, and cloud-managed security solutions that cover comprehensive corporate end-to-end security.
- Increased visibility: Network security solutions provide companies with the opportunity to use real-time data to make more intelligent security decisions.
- Improved Protection: Companies are also more capable of protecting against threats by enforcing policies and taking appropriate against known and unknown risks across their network.
- Threat Comprehension: With appropriate network security, companies can also utilise their network to gain insights into their network traffic, including alerts to policy violations and potential threats.
Protecting against threats is now an essential part of engaging with business in a modern market – and MOQdigital can help. We can prepare your company for success a digital marketplace, and help you remain protected against the threats therein.
Not quite sure where to start on your security journey? MOQdigital can help with a Cisco Umbrella Proof of Value.