Microsoft Schools and Microsoft Showcase schools create a global community of education engaged in K-12 transformation. The aim is to improve student learning outcomes and empower students to achieve more. But what exactly is a Microsoft School, and how do they differ from traditional education?
Microsoft Schools are focused on leading and learning; they work to transform education and discover how to integrate technology successfully into classrooms. They use the Microsoft K-12 Education Transformation Framework, and with the support and guidance of Microsoft, can create immersive and inclusive experiences in students that inspire lifelong learning, skill development, and ongoing empowerment. They also integrate lessons that would benefit from joining the Microsoft Schools program and are not confined to a single campus. In fact, Microsoft Schools are those who want to start exploring Microsoft solutions, applications, and devices in small ways – and grow from there. This digital transformation allows schools to enable significant student success, not only bolstering how they engage with learning but also helping prepare the class of today to become the leaders of tomorrow. Schools who are thinking about engaging with digital transformation and technology integration are encouraged to join the program and can register at any time.
There are significant benefits to becoming a Microsoft school too; benefits that go beyond enhanced learning and digital experiences. These include:
- Global recognition by being placed in a monthly updated Microsoft School and Showcase School list.
- Receive a quick-start guide with all the assets and resources required to support school leaders.
- Enrol in a global community of practice. This community reaches over 1,000 other school leaders via Yammer, the Microsoft social channel.
- Receive monthly e-newsletters to stay up-to-date on the latest in Microsoft Teaching and Leading resources
- Receive early updates on products, offers, and opportunities that could enhance your schools’ learning experience
- Participate in quarterly global connect calls to improve contact, collaboration, and community.
Showcase School teams are part of a professional community that is capable of amplifying the use of technology to drive school-wide positive transformation. Each school looks different, and despite their diversity, they are defined by their leaders and their commitment to student success. Each school demonstrates holistic digital transformation with the Microsoft K-12 Education Transformation Framework and operates on evidence-based curriculum. They have specific learning outcomes and goals and utilise technology as a lever. Digital is not the end goal – learning is, and technology is a powerful tool that can be used to empower it. Having a clear vision about how education defines technology is essential, and school leaders must be innovators as well as educators. Microsoft helps with this by enabling improved effectiveness through a meaningful professional learning approach, and encourages intense focus on school-based development, mentoring collaboration, and innovation. Teachers are encouraged to exercise a growth mindset in themselves and their students, utilising inclusivity and emphasising personal learning experiences. This innovative way of thinking helps students discover the skills required to be effective in the 21st century – and beyond.
- Computational thinking: Strategic thinking in all curricular areas to create solutions via abstraction, algorithms, and pattern recognition
- Creativity and innovation: The utilisation of ingenuity and imagination to think outside of the box
- Critical thinking: To address essential questions with research and thought gathered from multiple resources
- Collaboration: The ability to become a global citizen, share responsibility, and make decisions together about work and progress
- Communication: Across boundaries and with extended and multi-modal methods
All of these things can be a lot to take in and can become a significant challenge for schools looking to keep up with a digital environment. Fortunately, there is help. The Education team at MOQdigital can assist you in finding the right solution for your school. If you want to find out more about K-12 Education, Microsoft Schools, or simply how technology can empower your campus – contact us today.