Identity has changed how companies authenticate and authorise user experiences, and has become foundational for enabling agile user experiences in a mobile, cloud-based environment. Cloud-based Identity allows organisations to adopt multiple cloud services vendors and align them back to a Single Identity for use across an organisation. This enables streamlined user experiences and boosts productivity – and is being adopted by more and more businesses. From an security standpoint, Identity is essential as it ensures that the right people have the right access to the right resources, and provides management and control to improve risk reduction in business. While companies adopting mobility and cloud solutions can utilise Identity to evolve their workplace and ensure ongoing security and efficiency across their business it requires more than turning on user accounts to be effective. Companies need to plan and prepare for Identity and ensure that their Identity strategy aligns with their Cloud and Security infrastructure both now and in the future.
There are three steps companies need to take when beginning to understand how identity affects their operations.
- Assess their current Identity and Access Management (IAM) strategy
Businesses need to assess their current cloud and on-premises applications, as well as what apps and services they are using, end-user access preferences, and possible future requirements. Knowing current policies and infrastructure will help a business understand the full costs and benefits of Identity within their business.
- Devise on an appropriate approach
Companies should consider what is driving their security, and cloud strategies – and how these relate to Identity. Other things to consider are whether the business wants an on-premises or cloud deployment, compliance, governance, and productivity requirements, rollout times, cost benefits, and more.
- Apply an Identity solution
Once a business has decided to pursue identity, they must go beyond ‘turning on devices’ and ensure that they have an appropriate deployment plan. This includes dependencies, timelines, and implementation plans, as well as user acceptance. Successful implementation requires engaging the right people and pursuing achievable milestones to support ongoing and actionable success.
Identity Management for Success
Identity management can be critical to a company’s success, as it influences productivity and security across an organisation. It also affects what security and technology solutions a company might adopt, as well as how existing, past, and future user experiences are managed, monitored, and maintained. Some of the benefits of Identity include:
- Single Sign-On is an obvious benefit of Identity, which assists users and IT to obtain immediate productivity and growth.
- Single Identity Management that enables users to consolidate their organisational identity so that it can be used to access multiple on-premises and Cloud applications.
- Identity Connected Architecture to assist with architecting Identity strategies that can be leveraged with an organisations growth.
- Managed and Secured Identity to provide an operational service that ensures the organisation’s Identity for Cloud services and is actively secured and maintained.
If you’d like to hear more about Identity for business – MOQdigital can help. With customers including Bond University and BDO Group, MOQdigital has the experience to help you establish excellent Identity within your company. Contact us to find out more.